I looked out my back door yesterday and saw my beautiful potted coral bark maple. I bought this tree the day I moved back to Portland almost 2 years ago. We had been in the desert in California, much to my dismay, and these trees will not even grow there. This one in particular is my favorite...it turns brilliant shades of yellow and orange in the fall. It is my first sign that autumn is officially arriving. And then, in the winter, all the leaves fall and the trunk and branches are a beautiful coral. It makes me very happy. In the last few days, I've been sick and it has become a little colder - that gives Hattie Star and I free reign to stay in our jammies all day and sit on the sofa as much as we like. Yesterday, I walked into the living room and she was snuggled up with all of her babies on the couch. This also made me happy and realize that I need to cherish these silly quiet moments with her. And then, after being housebound for a few days, I went grocery shopping....the ever dangerous New Seasons. Is it odd that I was so pleased with my stocked pantry and fresh veggies and fruit that I felt compelled to take a picture? There is something for me about being in the kitchen by myself, burning candles, listening to my Nick Drake/Vashti Bunyan/Neko Case mix on www.pandora.com and having a fully stocked kitchen. This also makes me happy. Now I can look forward to making homemade vegan pizza tonight on my new Pampered Chef pizza stone with fresh heirloom tomatoes, eggplant, spinach, basil and red sauce. (A little gorgonzola on the side to pacify my sweet husband). I am not normally a pampered chef girl, but I scored about 4 major pieces of brand new Pampered Chef stoneware on Craig's List for $50...right on! This made me very happy as well. One more kitchen related tidbit, you know when you want to whip up a really yummy salad and don't have time to make homemade dressing? Well, for 40 (well maybe 20) years I have been in search of a healthy, non-cheesy store-bought bottled dressing that I would feel comfortable serving guests on a tossed salad. Friends, I have found it: Annie's Naturals Balsamic Vinaigrette. Low in sugar! Use mixed organic baby greens or baby spinach, some carmelized walnuts or chopped roasted hazelnuts and a little crumbled gorgonzola if you're a dairy person and toss with some of this dressing and it's magic! This made me very, very happy as well.
Tuesday, September 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I love Annies. She has a shiitake mushroom one too that is yummy. There is another one I use sometimes too. Can't think of the name but I will check and tell you later. Am still looking forward to trying the dressing recipe you gave me before too. Sounds so delicious. xoxo
Post a Comment