As I've been sick and on the sofa for a couple of days now, I have been "wasting" time pouring over some really interesting blogs. I am realizing I am not alone in my love of the simple things in daily homelife. So many times throughout the day, I see something or someone in my home in a particular setting and it just warms my heart. I love predictability in my house. I love knowing that each morning when I rise for coffee, I can look out at this jungle above my kitchen sink - knowing that my "stained glass shrinky dink" from Henry, my favorite owl toothpick holder, a yummy smelling candle and my flailing rubber tree plant in the brown elephant will be sitting there waiting for me. I love it that when we go to cook that everything is in its spot....and of course, it's not just the utilitarian aspect of it, but that it is also appealing to my eye. I love all of my "goods" on my shelf above my stove. I was inspired to create such a shelf by this great book I recently purchased called Recycled Home. My sweet husband went to the hardware store for brackets and a thick chunk of wood for a shelf and there you go...my vision was accomplished. When I want my agave syrup or my coconut butter or my tea tin or my french press, I know they will always be in their little spot. Is it odd that I find this comforting? Is it odd that I look at these pictures and feel happy? Well, weird or not, this is me. These things make me happy. I like creating this sort of environment for my kids too. We move ALOT, yet each "house" feels like "home" to them, because everything is always in its "spot" regardless of what "shell" we are in. I loved this picture in my dining room this morning...a branch and a rose from my yard - a sign that fall is upon us - dew still on the leaves. Pears from a friend's house and signs of life from my creative little ones. It's important to me that these things are available to them at all times - Hattie's "cutters" as she likes to call them, a journal, coloring books, paints. I love it when they get the "urge" to create and everything they need is at their fingertips. Anyway, random thoughts, but as I pour over certain blogs and see the sweet pictures posted - scenes from everyday life, whether it is a messy breakfast table or a seasonal shelf a family creates with carefully placed leaves, branches, shells and stones - I see that I am not alone in loving the beauty of daily life with my family.
Sunday, September 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I feel cozy and "nesty" and moody just reading this:)
What a wonderful home you have Darcy. I think I need to come and get ideas from you. My house is kind of open with not much in it right now. I am finally realizing that I need to paint more then a few walls. That color is good and while it boring. At least it is here. I hope that you are feeling better today. I don't like being sick, but at least the weather is helping your home feel cozy today. Take Care.
Wonderful blog! I see Juice+ on your window sill. Fantastic!! Looking forward to seeing you on Thur. Hope you are feeling better.
Your home looks so cozy...love the old fashioned glider on your back porch! :) I love that you have such a variety of things in your home, it's just eye candy.
I can tell I am going to love following this blog. Mainly because I adore the word "cozy". And New Seasons (I have to walk there every day to get my mail). :)
Post a Comment